Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Another late post

I have found a reasoning to my late post; I have to have something to write about or else you would just be reading about me sitting in my house watching tv or when I am at the gym. So, here is what I have been up to since my last post. I have gone fishing, to the beach, golfing, mini golfing, and just hanging out with my teammates.

First I will inform you all on the last two games we have had here in Sweden. The Crusaders, which is my team, we are 2-0. In our first game we won 54-20 versus a team that also had a guy play in the Pac-12 from the University of Arizona, they also had a quarterback that played many years in the NFL, CFL, Arena ball, he came from Rutgers University he goes by the name Mike McMahon. Unfortunately the fans here in Sweden saw his career end with a blown out knee. The buzz aroundd the league was, "he can last many years in the Professional leagues of America but only a few games in Sweden." A sad way to go but we wish him the best. The team we battled against in the first game was the Upsalla 86ers, they fell victim in this match. My personal stats were somethng like this. [ 7 tackles from the safety position, 3 punteturns for 45 yards, kickoff return for a 80 yard touchdown, 1 catch for 5 yards] Not a bad start I was excited to score my first touchdown here, also wasn't bad hearing the crowd scream my name. The feeling was awesome makes me feel like I am really appreciated. Going into the next game we faced the Stockholm Mean Maachine, once the king of the thrown here in Sweden. They have something like 12 championships, always defeating us in the final, but the past four years Carlstad Crusaders has three of thosse championships. We left a stateement in this game not holding back one bit, We decapitated them with a whopping 82-0 victory on our home field. Our offense scored every single posession, with our defense hosting 11 three-and-outs. This game seemed as if we were playing basketball and they were playing hockey (if you didnt get the analogy it was meaning easy for us to sccore and very difficult for them) We all enjoyed ourselves. The difference between here in Sweden and the US, the fans wanted us to keep scoring and kept intrest in the game, if this was America the fans would have been gone at halftime. To say the leeast I enjoyed stepping down on their throats, sending not only them but everyone else in the league a message, that the Crusaders are coming for you!!! Also to the preseason critics that chose us to take 3rd in the league.

Switching from that agressive mentality to something much more soothing was what I did after the game on sunday. I went out on a boat with two friends and took out the poles and tried to hook some fish. Took sail to the biggest lake in Sweden and relaxed on a somewhat chili day. Listening to nothing but the fine breeze in the trees, and the sound of the watter crashing into itself. After being on the water for about three hours we came up fishless until we began to pack up and we captured our first victim, a 15 inch pike, we suddenly threw our hooks back into the water and what do you know! Three more pike, but me myself was still fishless. A few minutes before giving up I threw in my last cast, I hooked a bass, a very fine fish. It was about 8 inches, but I had the upper hand because we threw the pike back in the water, but I got to keep my bass to eat. I had a friend show me how to kill it by snapping its neck, once we reached shore he gutted it and it was on my way home being ready to eat. I had a great day.

Next on my list was going to the beach, I must admit I had Hawaii set in my head and the expectations of those beaches, but it was much different. The beaches here have very little sand and a lot of rocks, the water is still very cold, but after all they did just get defrosted a few weeks ago. That didnt stop me from jumping in, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We also BBQ'd some burgers, listeneed to music, talked, and just sat in the sun enjoying the day. Also I had my first ever "yellow" watermelon!! It was really tasteful. This was probbly one of the most relaxing moments I ever had in my time here so far. At this time I sat just thanking the man above for blessing me with this opportunity. I enjoyed myself so much and found myself continuously thiking, "am I really in another country right now?"

Anothr good expierence presented itself to me when one of my buddies took me to the golf course to hit some balls. I had a blast driviing balls and working on my chipper game. The golf course was very nice. It was built on an old airforce base, the coolest thing was that the landing tower was still there, that made it very different from all other courses. The weather here in Karlstad has been really good, give or take a few rainy days. Hovering around 63-72 degrees F. Its been lovely with the sun just hanging over your head.

And since this is another late post, Ill update from our third game that we just played. Must I say it was a dog fight, which is what every real competitor wants. Playing against one of the other powerhouses in Sweden in the Orebro Black nights, but we came out victorious and are now tied for first place with a record of 3-0. We fought hard and also made a lot of mistakes, leaving many more points on the board. Personally, I scored my second touchdown on a 30 yard fade route giving our team its last score ending the game with a 21-12 win. It was a great showing by the crowed and they got really involved which I liked a lot. So, saying the least; it was a great bus ride home.

Thanks for reading (until my next late post)



































3 comments:

  1. You forgot the pictures from the beach ;) And the fika-picture..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lewis,

    I'm always interested in hearing about Americans living in Karlstad. I'm very glad to read that you're enjoying it. One thing to note, no matter what the Swedes say, the lake is NEVER warm! Ha ha.

    I've been visiting Karlstad for almost 19 years now (I'll be there for the month of July), and I've never had a chance to attend a Crusaders game. If things go right, I'll be attending the July 7 game.

    Cheers,
    Lawrence
    Denver, CO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the Swedish championship and the MVP award!

    ReplyDelete